PATCHAT

PatChat is your inside view of GA from students' perspective

Monday, November 3, 2014

Cross Country Senior Looks Back

Josh (left, in red) sprints from the starting line at Belmont Plateau.
As I finish off my year as a high school cross country runner, I look back at the year and realize that our team really persevered. I am so proud of myself and my teammates this year. Belmont Plateau is one of the hardest places to run a 5k, but the training that we have done this year really prepared us for this challenge. At the Inter-Ac Championships we placed 4th out of the 6 teams. I placed 6th out of 42 varsity runners, earning 1st team all Inter-Ac. I think the team, like me, had more in us. I finished my race at Belmont Plateau unsatisfied and ready for another go around in 6 days at the Pennsylvania Independent School Athletic Association Championships. This race, however, included 11 additional schools and 73 more runners. But knowing that this was my last high school race of this magnitude I knew that I couldn’t leave this race without putting everything on the line. The race begins and I feel strong and confident. It is just me and the race and along with me are supportive coaches and teammates cheering me on as I go. I fly through the race making every stride meaningful. I see the ropes that mark the end of the race and whatever was left in the tank I spent crossing that line. I walked through the chute knowing that I ran the race of my life. I ran 16 seconds faster than I did at Inter-Ac Championships with a time of 16:53 min and I got 6th place again, but this time out of 115 varsity runners.
GA's girls' cross country team cheers the boys on at the finish.


Earning1st team all-state was truly a special moment for me, but finding out that our team got 4th again, but this time out of 17 schools, was truly a big step forward for our team. I was truly proud of every one of our runners and I know that I not only left everything out on the table, but my team did as well. I celebrate with the team with chocolate milk and soft pretzels. I am happily overwhelmed by the high fives and the congratulations from my teammates and coaches after the race. As my high school cross country career comes to a close, I am so happy that I had the pleasure of, running, talking, getting to know and being the captain of this team. I know that when I leave, they will continue to do great things.
~ Josh H. '15

Editor's note: Josh and his teammates have one more race left, the traditional season-ending dual race against Penn Charter. That race, part of the full slate of sporting contest between the two school during the annual GA-PC Day, will be run Saturday, November 8th at 10:15 AM. Find out more about the day here.

No comments:

Post a Comment