PATCHAT

PatChat is your inside view of GA from students' perspective

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Class of 2019 Spends Day In Workplace

Every year the 8th grade at GA gets an opportunity to shadow someone in their workplace as part of A Day Off Campus. I went to Boathouse Sports and shadowed the Creative Director. Boathouse Sports designs and creates sports equipment for a large array of teams and clubs. The company does most everything in-house. It’s really awesome to see happen because you can see a piece of clothing be designed then worked on and you can have the finished product 50 feet from where the design was thought up. I got to see much more of the design process during my time there as opposed to the manufacturing part.
Margaret was afforded inside access to Boathouse Sports.


I arrived at Boathouse at 9:00 am and received a tour of the factory and met many of the workers there. Then I went to the morning meeting that is held every day in the creative department. The artists discussed what they were going to be working on and what work they need the two interns to complete. Then I sat and learned about what everyone does in the design part of the process. I learned a lot about graphic design and shapes and logos.
Part of the design process and manufacturing process.
Then I headed over to the marketing and web design department and saw how they created websites and how the pictures of clothes on the website were created. After this, everyone headed to lunch. To finish off my day I learned how to design and draw on a computer and what software is best for what you are creating.
Overall, I had a lot of fun at Boathouse and enjoyed meeting everyone and seeing firsthand what goes into creating clothing and a highly functioning company. Now, I would consider pursuing graphic design. I found that aspect of my day extremely interesting and would not mind doing that for the rest of my life.
Employees at Boathouse work on sportswear.
~ Margaret H. ‘19

No comments:

Post a Comment