PATCHAT

PatChat is your inside view of GA from students' perspective

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Summertime at GA



This summer, I was a CIT (counselor in training) at the camp I have always loved, Germantown Academy’s Day Camp. As a CIT, I not only had more responsibility, but also a lot of fun. In the mornings, the CIT’s (there were about 10 of us) would go to “training.” By “training” I mean learning how to deal with different scenarios the campers would go through each day. For example, we learned what to do when a child gets a bee sting. We also learned how to perform CPR and how to calm down a group of children when they are riled up. After “training”, we went down for lunch. We would eat lunch in the cafeteria at the CIT table. After lunch came the best part of the day: being with our assigned troops. We were usually assigned a troop for one week and then rotate the next one so each CIT would be able to experience different age groups and genders. I personally loved being with D Troop. D Troop was filled with energetic, hyper 6-7 year old BOYS. I loved being in D Troop, in fact it was my favorite week. During the day, the troop had different activities all over campus. There would be the ropes course, wilderness, games, performing arts, science and more. The boys loved each and every event and if they didn’t we made sure to make it as appealing as possible to them. Once a week, the troops would go on a field trip.
Popcorn for all at Ambler Theater. 
Sometimes they went to the Ambler Theater, other times to Skyzone. But my favorite was when we went to the zoo. I liked going to the zoo because it was a great experience and the kids were so excited. Also, my friends Maddie and Annabel were also CITs with me. So when we went, Maddie took her GoPro and made a fun video of us feeding the giraffes, ziplining, and just walking around looking at the animals. I loved being a CIT and doing it with my friends made it better. I also met some new friends like Kira, Alise, and Sophie.
2016's Counselors in Training.
The best day of camp for me was Carnival Day. This was the day that the camp brought in a cotton candy machine, sno-cones, multiple moon bounces, and more. And as a CIT I got to manage each activity. Unfortunately, when Carnival Day finally came around, it was raining. But that didn't stop us from having a great time. Kids were running around going to the moon bounce, getting their faces painted, and having a blast. Being a CIT this summer was great and now next year I get to be a counselor. I feel fully prepared to become a counselor because I know what it takes. I had a great summer and I learned a lot. I can't wait for next year.
~ Sasha C. ‘20

No comments:

Post a Comment