PATCHAT

PatChat is your inside view of GA from students' perspective

Friday, February 5, 2016

First Timer On the Right Track



The scene in Staten Island.

At GA, everyone is given the opportunity, and highly encouraged, to try something new. Since I am a big sports enthusiast, (or athletic) I decided to try winter track this year. The team was very welcoming and as a result I have made a ton of new friends who are in grades other than my own. It has been an absolutely great experience so far and I am very excited for these last few weeks of the season. Track is a great way to not only get in shape but also learn how to properly run and improve your times. The coaches tailor your workouts to train you so you can compete to your full potential. Although running is seen as mainly a "solo" sport, the GA team environment encourages you to do your best.

Going into my first meet, I was a little nervous because I wasn't sure what to expect. Luckily, I had all of my teammates with me to guide me through and cheer me on during my event of the meet. All of the nerves quickly left my body once I heard the shot of the gun. I didn't place in the top 10 overall, but I did end up getting 1st in my heat.

In January I participated in the Ocean Breeze Freedom Games in Staten Island, New York. As I walked in, I was amazed by the brand new, expansive, and breathtaking facility. Stepping onto the track, I felt the same nerves during my first meet re-enter my body. I competed in two relay events, so having my friends around me boosted my confidence. After receiving the baton for my leg of the relay, I just kept telling myself to say relaxed and focus on my form. I could hear all of my teammates cheering for me after I finished my 200 in 30 seconds and handed off the baton to our anchor. We ended up coming in first in our heat and fifth overall.
JT and her teammates after their strong performance.


I am fortunate to receive this rewarding and fulling experience thanks to the promotion of trying something new at GA. I highly recommend trying things out of your comfort zone at GA, because you never know what hidden talents you may have. I am thankful with gratitude to have this opportunity and be part of such a phenomenal school and team.

- JT S. ‘18

No comments:

Post a Comment